Monday, January 19, 2015

In Shanghai with Heechul

Heechul's interview with In Shanghai Magazine

scans credits to 希家天下 HeeHome


Welcome for taking part in a Chinese variety. Knowing that we are going to interview you, Petals left messages on weibo like 'Our Heechul oppa is taking part in a Chinese variety for the first time, please love him a lot', 'Our oppa is a Korean who love Chinese people, he is very kind, sometimes he is weird, it's our fault that we didn't prepare enough medicines for him. Please forgive him if he does anything crazy'. 
Do you have anything to tell the fans who are anticipating for your first Chinese variety?

I have always received love from Chinese fans all this while and I also love China a lot, I also hear a lot of interesting things from my Chinese friends. Previously I only go to China because of Super Show. Hopefully this show will become an opportunity for me to come China more often.

'Having You Along The Way' revealed a photo of you lying down on the couples' laps, everyone was saying 'Hello Gooseberry, I thought it was an edited photo'. What do you feel most strongly about working with these 3 couples?

Actually I was very nervous on the first shoot with the couples. Because of the cultural difference, my actions might be deemed as rude if I am not careful. But the nervous feeling didn't last for very long. (laughs) Although we have language barrier, we were very happy during filming. The best thing that made me happy was when I heard 'If only Heechul can do more Chinese varieties. Heechul is a genius'. (Laughs)

What is the biggest difference between hosting 'Having You Along The Way' and other variety shows?

The biggest difference is of course the language. If my Chinese is a good as my Korean, I think I can really do a lot of shows in China. I also thought about staying in China for about 3-6 months, but if I do that then my schedules in Korea...

Being one of the prettiest man in Korea, do you mind showing your face without make up in the show? Many idols have the idol's burden* and can't let go of themselves in shows. How do you balance prettiness and dorkiness?

Although I am an idol, I am more of an idol who doesn't look like an idol, so people are still interested about me. Especially as an MC, I am trying to get rid of my idol's but I can’t overdo it too, because I am afraid many Chinese fans might not be able to take it.

*Idol's burden - being overly concerned about his/her idol's image


What was the hardest thing during filming?

It is still the problem of language barrier... It is not something that I can learn immediately!!! I will try hard to find a Chinese girlfriend.

You have strong imitating skills. Who will you be imitating as in 'Having You Along The Way'?

For this... please find the answer in the show...

Did you mum give you any suggestions or advice for recording this show?

My mum does not normally restrict me on the variety shows I accept. But she often tells me “Go cut your hair! I give birth to you so handsomely why do you want to make yourself ugly!!”

You have many friends in the entertainment line. If you can choose, who will you like to record 'Having You Along The Way' with, to travel and record together? And which destination will you pick?

The places I want to visit in China is... When I was young, I love those martial arts films a lot, so I want to visit those traditional places. If I can only choose a couple... this question is so hard. I can't answer this now because filming hasn't end.

(Actually the question asked him to choose any celebrity not just the 3 couples from the show but I guess he misunderstood.)

Petals love Heebum a lot, will you bring Heebum along for 'Having You Along The Way' if there is a chance?

Heebum doesn’t go out even if I open the door, seems like he is afraid of the outside world. Sometimes when I want to bring him out, he will start crying. Moreover recently he has been sleeping for 20 hours in the 24 hours.

Did you learn a lot of Chinese this year? Did Chung Junha help you in your Chinese in any way for MBC's 'Private Tutoring Across Generations'?

Actually saying that there is not time is an excuse.. but I really have no time. I’d better do my concert well first and learn Chinese seriously after that. If I meetup with Chung Junha, I will forget the Chinese that I already memorized.”


Your favourite Chinese sentence now? Or the sentence which you are most familiar with?

‘Who are you?!’ it’s from a Chinese movie….. and ‘Where are my friends!’ (a children song)

Which Chinese food gives you a deep impression? And what is the most unacceptable thing in Chinese food?

Hot pot! And also the Beijing rice that a very good Chinese friend of mine makes, I like it very much too! Ah this makes me hungry.. Actually compared to Chinese food, I can’t accept those food that retains the original form more like chicken feet and prawns more.





What gives you a deep impression in Hongkong movies? What influences did Hongkong movies give you when you were growing up?

Both Chinese and Japanese films gave me deep impressions when I was a teenager. I remember finishing the Zombie saga before enrolling into elementary school. I followed the movie to bite my finger to draw on amulets and made my hand all bloody*. Everyday I also think about jumping down from high places while shouting ‘Big brother! Big brother!'. I also learnt poker cards tricks from movies like ‘God of Gamblers’, fortunately I didn’t get addicted to it. (laughs)

*It is a common scene in zombie movies to have the exorcists bite their fingers and draw curses on amulets with blood.

In the many talk shows where people don't watch what they say, were there situations when you were forced to lie?

I feel that no matter how you package yourself, you must maintain the truthfulness in shows. Because I have the principle of not lying, I will have problems if I keep telling the truth. No matter what, I will still insist on my thinking when doing shows. I have learnt a lot from the show 'War of Words', I understood that I have to be careful with every line I say.

What kind of friends do you like to make in real life? And what kind of people you cannot stand?

I don't like people who are fake, I like people who are the same on screen and off screen and those who are honest. To put it directly, I will stop contacting people who lies often.

Are you also so 4 dimensional in real life? Or is this just an appearance for your social life, do you become quiet and depress easily in real life?

I don't mind phrases like '4 dimensional' or 'very weird'. Actually a few years ago, I was very stressed out because of words like this, thinking 'what is normal and what is special? Why are people treating me like this?' I also cut my hair short and not care about my image before. At that time, Lee Sooman sunbaenim said this to me 'Heechul ah, don't throw away your own colours, as a celebrity this is your biggest advantage. No matter what you do, you are still Kim Heechul, aren't you a free soul?' From then on, I don't put to heart all those words like '4 dimensional or normal' because I am Kim Heechul.


What is it that you think about the most? And how do you overcome stress?

This is my future, not the celebrity's future, but as a normal person Kim Heechul's future. What kind of person will I marry? What kinds of children will I have? ...Because of this I want to see the fans even more during normal times, after recording this show, I guess I will have to do a fanmeet. (laughs)

What did you gain last year?


Oh! I wrote some lyrics. Around early this year? I will reveal my secret plans.

Do you prefer single life or married life like in WGM? You often say that as you age, your parents started worrying about marriage. But you don't seem to be worried, you still plan to live in freedom for a long time?

I am still living in freedom now and have no thoughts on dating...
This may sound weird but I really hope to quickly see a child that looks like me very soon. (laughs) I am still a Kim Heechul that is not matured enough, I want to keep being the immature Kim Heechul and to keep seeing everyone! Ah, if my mum hears this, she is going reprimand me... When she hears me saying "I don't want to get married too early but I want to see a child that looks like me soon!", she will scold me "What nonsense are you saying?"

You mentioned that you haven't bought any clothes for yourself in these 8 years since the fire in the dorm burnt all your 500 pieces of clothing and 200 pairs of shoes. Because you felt that it is meaningless after seeing your clothes disappear. What have you been wearing for these 8 years? What made you start buying clothes again?

Ever since the fire and all my clothes being burnt, I always wore clothes fans gave me. But sometimes I think if I wear clothes with my own face on it or with the word ‘希’ outside, my friends will probably say ‘Can’t you wear something more normal? This is too eye-catching’. Donghae and I are like real brothers. We will share clothes with each other.

If you are to find a cartoon character to represent yourself, which one do you think is most alike with you?

If you are referring to me starting from when I was a kid, the characters that are more alike with me are Timon of Lion King, Misahi of Us Who Started Today*, and the cat in the comic that Taeyeon praised, Same As Oppa!*. Recently there is also Anna of Frozen.

*I don't know the official titles of these comics in English so these are direct translations


No comments:

Post a Comment